Malapert Minx

The discombobulate warbling of a malapert minx interspersed with reverential impartations of beauty and greatness.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom
[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]

04 December, 2005

14th: La Wally - Catalani


Ebbene? ... N'andrò lontana
~~~
An Aria
If the music is working you
may hear this being sung by
Maria Callas
~~~
Ebbene? ... N'andrò lontana,
come va l'eco della pia campana,
là, fra la neve bianca;
là, fra le nubi d'or;
là, dov'è la speranza, la speranza
il rimpianto, il rimpianto, e il dolor!

O della madre mia casa gioconda,
la Wally n'andrà da te,
da te lontana assai,
e forse a te, e forse a te,
non farà mai più ritorno,
nè più la rivedrai!
mai più, mai più!

N'andrò sola e lontana,
come l'eco è della pia campana,
là, fra la neve bianca;
n'andrò, n'andrò sola e lontana!
e fra le nubi d'or!
~~~
'Tis well! my way lies yonder!
I hear afar the snowy mountains calling;
Forth to their heights I wander,
Forth to the sunset glow;
'Tis they shall calm the sorrow, calm the sorrow,
This heart alone, this heart alone may know.

Oh! peaceful cottage,
Dear home of my childhood,
The mountains are calling me!
Alas! I now must leave thee!
And nevermore,
And nevermore shall mine eyes fondly behold thee!
Home that I love so dearly.
Farewell! farewell!

'Tis well! my way lies yonder;
I can hear the snowy mountains calling;
Forth to their heights I wander;
Farewell! farewell! home of my childhood!
Farewell for evermore!
~~~

Librettist: Luigi Illica
Composer: Alfredo Catalani
Sung By: Maria Callas, recorded 1955
Possibly remembered from the film “Diva”

Post script
And then the lovers die in an avalanche…
Well, what did you expect, this is an opera.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home